As you may remember, I’m a huge fan of Guacamelee!. I even cosplay as Juanita, one of the DLC skins from the game.
If you need a refresher, Guacamelee! is a 2D brawler/platformer that alternates between the worlds of the living and the dead. It’s beautifully inspired by Mexican culture and features a local co-op. Check out my review of the original for more details.
I was pleased to learn that Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is coming to the PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U. I also love that they chose to follow the ancient fighting game tradition of having a stupidly long name.
Check out the trailer:
Dat Street Fighter callback…
The game will come out on PS4 on July 1st in North America, and then on the other consoles and in Europe on July 2nd and will cost $14.99.
New Features for the Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Include:
- Expanded Story – An expanded version of the game that includes new content and all DLC from the original
- New Game Areas – Players will ride boats through the Canal of Flowers to save a besieged fishing town, and avoid lava as they climb through the fiery Volcano
- New Boss – Face off against the deadly Trio of Death, a three-headed skeleton that lives in the Volcano, who helps the evil Carlos Calaca build his skeleton armies
- New Abilities – Maximize destruction with the powerful new INTENSO combat mode and dish out scrambled pain with powerful Chicken Bombs. Plus, swap dimensions independently in co-op play using the new Shadow Swap ability.
- New Enemies – Lethal new elite-class enemies that want to chokeslam luchadores to sleep
- Support for multiple save slots
- Dual currency system that supports permanent item unlocks
Color me excited! My only concern is that a lot of folks who bought the PS3 version will feel left out, so I hope they eventually have a discount for PS3 owners to upgrade (DLC or an expansion to purchase).