Arkham City is the sequel to Arkham Asylum, the Batman game released in summer 2009. Arkham City is due in fall of this year, and since I saw this article, which revealed some new information about the gameplay, I thought I’d pool together some of the information I’ve gathered so far:
- Batman uses a lot more movement in this game. He uses his cape to glide and his grappling hook to swing on things like billboards, helicopters, and buildings.
- The game is single player.
- This game will be much bigger than Arkham Asylum, with the area of Arkham City being a few times larger.
- Arkham City is a section of Gotham run by Warden Hugo Strange where the inmates of Arkham Asylum and Blackgate prison have been placed.
- Catwoman, Two-Face, Joker, Hugo Strange, Harley Quinn, at least the voice of Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Talia Al Ghul, Calendar Man, and Victor Zsasz are confirmed in the game
- Detective Mode is back.
- Batman will now have smoke bombs.
- Core gameplay looks the same but with new gadgets and attacks.
- Batman can use radio frequencies to eavesdrop on enemies for clues and can hack frequencies to track people.
- Has a new mode where players can break an enemy’s guard (called “Beatdown,” of all things).
- Player has access to a criminal database that tracks major villains across the city.
- Challenges from Riddler will still be in the game, but will be harder to locate.
- Players can either be stealthy or use the improved version of the combat system, such as reactions to thrown objects. You can also use all of Batman’s gadgets in combat.
- Trailer after the jump:
Arkham Asylum holds the Guinness World Record for Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever. It broke the record in this category by achieving the highest average score of 91.67 from reviews around the world. A game that good couldn’t possibly pass up on a sequel, and all the mystery surrounding it only adds to the anticipation.
Oh, plus my babygirl Catwoman was in the Game Informer article about it, and that was really all I needed to see.
Pingback: Felicia Day and Others I’m Looking Forward to at Comic Con « SarahTheRebel
Pingback: Catwoman Screenshots from Arkham City « SarahTheRebel
This won’t disappoint, though I think Dead Space 2 will still rank higher for me in enjoyment.